24 September 2018 (Monday) - NEQAS Morphology


I finally got round to looking up the NEQAS blood film results on the exercises I did about six weeks ago. Here’s what I said:

1805 BF1
Poor staining

Lymphocytosis
blast cells
Hairy cells
Macrocytosis

? hairy cell leukaemia

1805 BF2
Poor staining

Reversed neut/lymph ratio
reactive lymphs
Low plts

? viral

1803 PA1

P falciparum 0.5%

1803 PA2

Wucheria bancrofti


Was I right… I was correct for 1805 BF1 and 1805 BF2. I was correct with P. falciparum in 1803 PA1; the consensus value for the parasitaemia in 1803 PA1 was 1% - I was a little under.
The parasite in 1803 PA2 was (supposedly) loa loa, but I’ve taken exception to te expert commentary which says “The microfilariae present in this film are sheathed and the nuclei are crowded extending right up to the tip of the head and tail”… we looked closely at this and they weren’t.
But (in all honestly) spotting the parasite is the important bit. Simply seeing it is there is sufficient as it will then be referred to the reference lab.

All things considered I did OK…

No comments:

Post a Comment