14 October 2024 (Monday) - BTLP-TACT


 
Time for another BTLP-TACT exercise… it’s pouring hard outside and I’m a tad bored.
I asked it if I might have a go. The spinny wheel thingy spun and spun. Eventually it crashed. I started it again and it told me to process any samples in the in-tray. There weren’t any. After a lot of fiddling about I came out of the thing and went back in again. It gave me the thumbs down for that.
I tried again.
Again the spinny wheel thingy spun and spun. Finally it gave me two cases.
 

34385 – a twenty-five year old woman needing group and save.

She grouped as O Rh(D) Positive with antibody screen positive in all three cells. I requested antibody panels. The IAT panel was variable. It was 3+ in cells 3 and 9 and 1+ in cells 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 10. Being negative in only cells 4 and 8 I could only really exclude anti-C, anti-c, anti-e, anti-N, anti-s, anti-P1, anti-Fya,

The enzyme screen was negative in everything therefore excluding all Rh antibodies and anti-Lu(a).

So heaven only knows what’s going on here… it could be an unholy combination of anti-S and Fy(a) from which I couldn’t exclude anti-K. I don’t know – I would refer this. I’d appreciate going through this with someone…

 

08821 – a fifty-seven year old chap also needing group and save.

He grouped as A Rh(D) Positive with antibody screen positive in cell 2. I requested antibody panels. The IAT panel was positive in cells 2 and 6 corresponding to anti-K, as was the enzyme panel.

                                         
I got it wrong… apparently there was a clinically significant antibody masked but not noted in case 34385. Was there? I’d like to know what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment