8 July 2024 (Monday) - Getting the BTLP-TACT Wrong (Again!)

Time for a BTLP-TACT exercise. I was presented with two cases:
 
54995 – a twenty-one year-old chap needing four units of FFP for the next morning
The ABO group was indeterminate being B in the cells and AB in the serum, but was Rh(D) Positive, and had a positive antibody screen in cells 1 & 2. I selected antibody panels. The IAT and enzyme panels were positive in cells 1, 2, 3 and 4 corresponding to anti-C and anti-D but not excluding anti-Cw… even though the patient was Rh(D) Positive.
I selected four units of B FFP. The guidelines said to give it
 https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-54379-0, and methylene blue inactivated is no longer needed for someone of that age.
 
 
53685 – an eighty-six year-old woman needing four units of FFP and two units of cryo prior to a liver transplant.
They grouped as A Rh(D) Positive with an antibody screen positive in cell 2. I selected antibody panels. The IAT and enzyme panels were positive  in cells 2 & 6 corresponding with anti-K.
 I selected four units of A FFP and two units of A cryo. The guidelines that I could find on the spur of the moment seemed rather vague so I thought I’d rather be wrong for doing something than be wrong for not doing something.
 
I got the thumbs down. Apparently I selected all the plasma products for the second patient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment