23 April 2024 (Tuesday) - Westgard QC Update

The nice people at Westgard sent their update today. There was a lot of what I might flippantly call “blah blah blah”, but one article made me think.
Just what are the QC limits on our blood counters? I naively thought they were the standard two standard deviations. It would seem they might not be. It was claimed that some parameters have ranges of up tp 10 SD; MCV, and MCHC were quoted.
 
I’ve always worked in places that use the limits that the machine’s manufacturers give. Personally I haven’t a clue just how wide these limits are though.
Apparently globally, only about 42.4% of laboratories use such manufacturer-supplied control limits. 60% of labs surveyed in China use their own limits
 
I suppose that justifying making our own limits would be a regulatory minefield. CPA wouldn’t be at all keen. Mind you I wonder if they are aware of this article.  
I imagine those who make blood counters will have something to say about it… and about this article too.

No comments:

Post a Comment