13 February 2023 (Monday) - BTLP-TACT Exercise

With a few minutes spare I thought I might have a go at a BTLP-TACT exercise before setting off to the late shift…
 
I was presented with two cases:
 
91546 – a thirty-one-year-old chap in the operating theatre needing two units of blood within the next two hours for an above-knee amputation
He grouped as O Rh(D) Negative with a negative antibody screen
I selected two units of O Rh(D) Negative blood
 
88251 – an eighty-four-year-old woman requiring a pre-operative group & save.
She grouped as… well… I don’t know what the software expected. The ABO group was indeterminate. The D group was negative.. the control worked. But what is the control in this case supposed to control?
I called the group ”Indeterminate Rh(D) Negative”.
To add insult to injury the antibody screen was positive in cells 1 and 2, so I selected identification panels.
The IAT and enzyme panels were positive in cells 1, 2, 3 and 4 which corresponded with anti-C and anti-D but could not exclude anti-Cw.
 
I amazed myself by getting the green light, and headed off to work feeling flushed with success.

No comments:

Post a Comment