24 December 2020 (Thursday) - BTLP Excercise

Time for another BTLP-TACT exercise – it has been a couple of weeks and the boss told me off for not getting on with it… 

I was presented with one case – a seventy-four year old woman going for surgery the next day requiring four units of blood. 
She grouped as AB Rh(D) Positive with antibody screen positive in cells 1 & 2. 

I requested antibody panels. 

The IAT panel was positive in cells 2 3 5 7 9 and the enzyme panel was negative in all cells 
This looked very like anti-S but I couldn’t rule out anti-E or anti-Lua..  It would have been good to have been able to see the screening antigram but the software wouldn’t allow it. 

I ruled out anti-E as this antibody didn’t react by enzyme. 

I selected four S-negative units…

I got the red light. Apparently the anti-Lua wasn’t there… had I been able to see that antigram… 
I’m taking that as a green light… 
 

The problem here is one I’ve encountered before. In reality I can see the antigrams for screen and panel at the same time. However in the simulator once I’ve said “positive” to the antibody screen I can’t see the antigram for it any more…

I need to rule stuff out at the point of doing the screen (which isn’t what happens in reality) or take screen shots (which is a faff).

No comments:

Post a Comment