29 October 2020 (Thursday) - 2004 DM

The results of the on-line morphology survey 2004 DM became available today. I’d noted:

Rbc

 

Anisopoikilocytosis

Basophilic stippling

echinocytes

Nrbc

Rouleaux

Tear-drop cells

 

Wbc

 

Blast cells with cytoplasmic blebs

Cleft nuclei

Left shifted neutrophils

myelocytes

Neutrophil vacuolation

Smear cells

Toxic granulation

 

Platelets

 

Giant platelets

Megakaryocyte fragment

Micromegakaryocytes

 

 

And as is always the way the software then announced that I had completed the exercise before I felt I had. But the final part of the expert comment had me feel I got it right:

The abnormal platelets, megakaryocyte fragments and micromegakaryocytes, together with the other very abnormal maturing morphology of other lineages reflect the underlying myeloproliferative disorder, and strongly favour a myelofibrosis. In this case the circulating blast cells indicate a transformation of the myelofibrosis to an acute leukaemia, and the blast cells have the appearances of megakaryoblasts. This was confirmed by flow cytometry 

These on-line morphology exercises are useful… they would be far better with more user-friendly software. (or is it just me?)

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment