15 July 2024 (Monday) - Gaucher's Disease

#LearningMonday… continuing being a reactionary old fart, I hate hashtags. But I do like the Learning Monday idea. This one was a good one… which is the most unlikely diagnosis. Initially I plumped for PNH as it is a disease of older people.
But… Gaucher’s disease… what’s that?
There’s a Wikipedia entry on the condition here. I know that proper science sneers at Wikipedia, but as a starting point it is hard to beat. Apparently Gaucher’s disease is one in which glucocerebroside accumulates in cells and certain organs… one of the places it accumulates is in macrophages which have a distinctive appearance in bone marrow smears… and to complicate the issue there are also pseudo-Gaucher cells.
 
I learned something here…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment