6 October 2024 (Sunday) - BTLP-TACT Exercise

Well, it’s been a few days since I had a go at the BTLP-TACT, so I sparked it up. I was presented with one case – a twenty-seven year-old woman in maternity needing four units of blood.
The sample was completely unlabelled, so I rejected it. And I got the thumbs-up for doing so. Flushed with success I had another go.
 
I was presented with one case – a sixty year old woman needing two units of cryo for vitamin K deficiency.
She grouped as A Rh(D) Positive with a negative antibody screen, but with no more clinical information given I wasn’t going to waste valuable cryo when an injection of vitamin K would do the trick.
I got the thumbs-down. Apparently there was a labelling error. I didn’t spot it. I suppose that’s why two people check when we do this at work.
 
And so with one pass and one fail, I went on to see what two out of three would be. One more case – a ninety year old woman needing two units of blood.
She had an indeterminate ABO group but was Rh(D) Negative. The antibody screen was negative so I selected two units of O Rh(D) Negative.
And having got two right out of three I called that a day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment