Time for a BTLP-TACT exercise. After having my login declined the software suddenly let me in and presented me with two cases
44046 – a fifty year old woman in the orthopaedic out patient department requiring two units of blood tomorrow.
She grouped as O Rh(D) positive with a positive antibody screen (positive in cells 2 & 3). I requested antibody panels. The enzyme and IAT panels were positive in cells 1, 3, 4, 6 & 7 which corresponded with anti-Jk(a) but did not exclude anti-Cw or anti-E
I selected Jk(a)-negative E-negative units and assumed that Rh Negative
units were Cw Negative too
01120 – a forty-seven year old chap in out patients requiring two units of irradiated blood within the hour.
He grouped as A Rh(D) positive with a positive antibody screen (positive in in cell 2). I requested antibody panels. The IAT and enzymes panel were positive in cells 3 & 5 which corresponded with anti-E.
I selected two A Rh(D) positive E-negative units
I got the red light… Apparently I identified antibodies in the first case which weren’t there.. and apparently the software didn’t realise I had selected units of blood for this patient.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with someone at BTLP-TACT… I make a note of each thing I select in the software as I select it, and this isn’t the first time what the report says I selected is at odds with the ongoing notes I make..