5 May 2020 (Tuesday) - Du? (He chuckled..)


Here’s something I might have touched on before. Weak-D and partial-D. What’s the difference, can I tell, and does it matter?

Today there was a presentation made available on the Facebook Immunohematology Reference Laboratory Page.
I particularly liked the bit “it is important that transfusionists do not interpret recently reported findings, or any change in nomenclature, as requiring a change in transfusion practice, as there is no evidence (at least in the UK) that current practice is failing patients”. Bearing in mind that when I was a lad we would “just do a Coombs test on the albumin and call it a Du”, things have changed massively in the intervening years. Advice and practice change rapidly in the transfusion world. I’m glad that (at least in this respect) I’m doing the right thing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment