7 April 2019 (Sunday) - Anti-c


In conversation with one of the trainees the other day it turned out that she had been specifically advised to avoid issuing c-positive blood to women of child-bearing age if it was at all possible to do so.
Obviously the reason is to avoid sensitisation and potential Rh disease due to anti-c, but with the rarity of c-negative donor units this isn’t always possible.

Whilst I’ve often had this idea of giving Rh matched blood when possible, it isn’t really a practical idea. But avoiding giving c-positive blood? I discussed the matter with a colleague, and I've been thinking on the matter.
.
Obviously the c antigen is rather antigenic. It can cause a particularly nasty transfusion reaction and  haemolytic disease of the newborn.
However c-negative people aren’t *that* common. Twenty per cent of the Caucasian population of the UK  and four per cent of those of African extraction are c-negative. Compare this to ninety per cent of the population being Kell-negative.
Mind you I’m D-negative myself and I don’t want anti-D.

Perhaps I might bear this in mind myself in future…



No comments:

Post a Comment