6 December 2021 (Monday) - NEQAS Morphology

I got the results of the morphology NEQAS today…

2107 BF1 

 I was presented with a blood film ostensibly from a 61-year-old female with Hb 129 and Wbc 185 

The film showed lymphocytosis with many smear cells
There was some poikilocytosis with crenated cells   

The platelet count looked normal, but there were some clumps present

This looked to be a case of CLL… It was – and I’d spotted the salient features  

2107 BF2 

I was presented with a blood film ostensibly from a 67-year-old male with Hb 137 and Wbc 6.9 

There was a reversed neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio with reactive lymphocytes seen together with some smear cells and occasional sezary cells 
There were target cells and some echinocytes and Howell-Jolly bodies

There were giant platelets present  

This was possibly Sezary’s syndrome… this was actually a case of  Sezary’s syndrome. Again I’d spotted the salient features

No comments:

Post a Comment