11 February 2021 (Thursday) - BTLP-TACT Excercise

Still sulking about Monday’s seemingly inexplicable failure, I thought I’d try another BTLP-TACT exercise this morning.
I logged in and got the “spinning wheel thing” that computers do when they are struggling. I had one sample – a request for two units of blood on a ninety year old woman; blood being required within two hours.

Her forward ABO group was A, but with no anti-B detectable in the reverse group this made her ABO group indeterminate. The Rh group was positive, and this was reportable since the control worked (I think that is what the software was expecting?)

The antibody screen was positive (1+) in cells  and two, so I requested antibody panels and got my lap-top to copy the antigram of the screen since the BTLP-TACT software then hides it.
The IAT and enzyme panels were positive in cells 1,2 and 3 and negative in all others which corresponded to anti-D but couldn’t exclude anti-Cw so I selected two units of O Rh(D) Negative Cw negative blood. (Given the phenotypes the unit were Cw negative)

Anti-D in a D-positive person… it happens…. Occasionally.

I got the green light…

No comments:

Post a Comment