12 February 2019 (Tuesday) - 1901 DM



On Thursday 30 January 2019 I did the NEQAS digital morphology exercise 1901 DM. I said:

Hypochromic microcytic blood film with anisopoikilocytosis, target cells, tear-drop cells, microspherocytes and red cell fragments
Are there red cell inclusions ??? Hb C crystals??? Unfortunately the staining isn't all that good.

Giant platelets seen

Only four white cells in field. Neutrophils appear unremarkable; the solitary lymphocyte doesn't look right - but is that the poor staining?

This warrants urgent referral to the consultant. As for what the case is...  I'm leaning towards a thalassaemia or haemoglobinopathy​

The results came out today. I think I got it right, but the software didn’t give me a certificate of completion. Did I do it wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment