19 August 2026 (Wednesday) - NEQAS 2603DM

I finally got the result of 2603DM today…  “a 43-year-old man who regularly attends Haematology outpatients. The blood film was prepared after new features were noticed in his blood count. Your opinion is requested”.
 
I can’t remember it at all, but at the time I said: “I’d say he regularly attends haematology outpatients because of a haemoglobinopathy. There’s target cells, sickle cells, nucleated red cells, polychromasia and Howell-Jolly bodies there.
And there’s blast cells and smear cells.
And there’s  an eosinophilia too.
 
The platelet count is down as well
 
I’d say this is someone with sickle cell disease (possibly HbSC or with a co-existing thalassaemia because of the target cells) who has suddenly developed leukaemia”.
 
The expert opinion was “This is a case of sickle cell disease (HbSS) with typical red cell features including sickle cells, boat-shaped cells, hyposplenic features and nRBCs. However, in this case there are also blast cells which should not be present and indicate the additional presence of an acute leukaemia. The important principle here is to recognise that we like to consolidate all features of a diagnostic blood film into a single diagnosis (e.g. sickle cell anaemia with reactive/hyposplenic features, or an acute leukaemia or myelofibrosis with associated red cell change). The key is sometimes to focus on the really key findings – in this case the blast cells, thrombocytopenia and typical sickle cells. Then ask whether this is really compatible with a single disorder”.
 
So… I’d spotted all the salient features. I got it right. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment