1 October 2024 (Tuesday) - More BTLP-TACT Frustration

Well… admittedly I’ve been off on holiday for a couple of weeks so I suppose that’s why I’ve been getting low participation warnings from the people at BTLP. Bearing in mind the debacle of the last exercise I’m not keen on doing any more… but if I am going to carry on in this line of work I have to do CPD.
Then again I’m not really keen on carrying on working at all. But for now…
 
I asked the BTLP-TACT software if I might have another go. It eventually presented me with one case – a forty-one year-old woman in the maternity department needing group & save.
I decided that the sample labelling was correct and told it so. After about five minutes it moved on to the next screen.
Actually requesting said group and save took another five minutes. Five more passed before I was able to see the result of the grouping
 
Both ABO and Rh group were indeterminate. It struck me that this was an AB Rh(D) Positive patient who had been transfused O Rh(D) Negative blood. In reality we would have this information.
And then the entire thing crashed in a server error.
 
I restarted it and eventually saw that the antibody screen was positive in cells 1 and 2.
I made a cuppa whilst I waited for it to allow me to request antibody panels, and drank the cuppa with a couple of biccies whilst waiting for it to show me the results of those panels.
 
The IAT panel was positive in cells 1, 2, 3 and 4 corresponding with anti-C and anti-D whilst not excluding anti-Cw. After another painfully long wait it again crashed in another server error.
I again restarted the thing and eventually saw that the enzyme panel was the same as the IAT panel. positive in cells 1, 2, 3 and 4 corresponding with anti-C and anti-D whilst not excluding anti-Cw. Once I’d given it the answer the software just hung.
 
After waiting for seemingly an age it gave me the thumbs-up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment