2 June 2024 (Sunday) - BTLP-TACT Exercise

Another BTLP-TACT exercise… I was presented with one case – a nineteen-year-old lady in the outpatient department needing two units of irradiated blood for the following morning.
 
Her ABO group was indeterminate. Does that invalidate the Rh(D) group? Her Rh(D) group was negative as the control was also negative. So I said it was negative. Because it was. If a new finding the whole lot would go off to NHSBT, and if a known patient we’d know what was going on. Wouldn’t we?
Anyway…
The antibody screen was positive in cells 1 & 2 so I performed antibody panels. The IAT and enzyme panels were positive in cells 1, 2 and 3 which corresponded with anti-D but didn’t rule out anti-Cw.
I selected two units of irradiated O Rh(D) Negative blood which were K-Negative
 
I got the green light…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment