6 May 2024 (Monday) - EHA Quiz

Every Monday I see a post on Facebook from the European Hematology Association about their “learning Monday”. There’s a photos and a question… and I never bother with it because I know I will forget all about it and never come back for the answer.
Today I took the radical step of actually reading what they had written, and I saw that by clicking one link I could get instant feedback…
 
In which of the listed diseases is a raised basophil count important? CML!
I clicked that link…

The correct answer is: Chronic myeloid leukemia

Explanation

The cells depicted above are basophils. One criterion of chronic myeloid leukemia in the accelerated phase is the increase of basophils over 20% in the peripheral blood.

Ref:

Baccarani M, Deininger MW, Rosti G, et al. European LeukemiaNet recommendations for the management of chronic myeloid leukemia: 2013. Blood. 2013;122(6):872-884. doi:10.1182/blood-2013-05-501569

I shall do these little exercises more often…

No comments:

Post a Comment