17 January 2024 (Wednesday) - BTLP-TACT Exercise

Bearing in mind the last time I tried to do a BTLP TACT exercise the software totally failed, and then tried to blame me, I wasn’t keen on giving it another go, but so far this moth there has been very slim picking for CPD.
It actually gave me a case this time. One case. A twenty-two year-old woman in the haematology clinic needing two units of irradiated blood as soon as possible. Mind you it didn’t give me the case with any alacrity. It could probably have gone slower if it had tried…
 

She had an indeterminate ABO group, but was Rh (D) Negative. I told the software this, but it crashed. I got back in to it and saw the antibody screen was positive in all three cells.

I managed to request antibody panels.

The enzyme panel was positive in cells 1, 3, 4, 6 and 7 which corresponded with anti Jk(a) but didn’t exclude anti-Cw

The IAT panel was positive in cells 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 and 10 which corresponded with anti Jk(a) and anti- Fy(a) but didn’t exclude anti-Cw.

I tried to tell the software but it crashed again.

I wanted to issue two irradiated units of O Rh(D) Negative which were negative for both Jk(a) and Fy(a), but there was only one of these units…

Amazingly I got the thumbs up…

No comments:

Post a Comment