16 October 2023 (Monday) - BTLP-TACT Exercise

I’m sitting quietly with the dogs as the wife has gone bowling. I could be watching anything I like on the telly, I could be playing any of a myriad of computer games. I could be reading anything I like on my Kindle.

Instead I’m doing a BTLP-TACT exercise at quarter to ten at night…

I was presented with one case – a twenty-four year old woman in theatre requiring group and save for a caesarean section.

The cell group was AB; the serum group B. That makes the blood group indeterminate and would need referral to NHSBT. The Rh group was negative though

The antibody screen was negative.

I got the green light… and the red mist. Quite frankly what a nonsensical exercise. Given that someone is having a caesarean section what is the likelihood of being unaware of such an unlikely blood group until the labour is at such a stage that surgery is required.

At the risk of sounding very ungrateful for something which is very useful to me (and free to me!), the BTLP-TACT simulator is very much something of a work in progress. Sadly there’s not much progress going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment