10 October 2023 (Tuesday) - BTLP-TACT Exercise

Time for another BTLP-TACT exercise. It presented me with one case – an eighty-five year old woman with appendicitis requiring group and save.
She grouped as AB Rh(D) Positive with a negative antibody screen.
 
It gave me the thumbs-down claiming I’d said she was O…  Seriously?

Rather fed up with the entire thing I asked for another one. This time I got an eighty-seven year old woman in the haematology clinic requiring group and save.

She grouped as O Rh(D) Positive with antibody screen positive in cells 1 & 2.
I requested antibody panels. The IAT panel was positive in cells 2, 3, 5, 7 & 9 which corresponded with anti- S but did not exclude anti-E or anti-Lu(a)
The enzyme panel was negative which did exclude anti-E (according to BTLP-TACT; not according to anyone who’s ever worked in a blood bank…not that I’m sulking about getting the thumbs down earlier).
Did this exclude anti-Lu(a)? Bearing in mind that the NHSBT guidelines say to crossmatch patients with anti-Lu(a) by IAT I’ll take this to say it does…
So we’ve got someone who is O Rh(D) Positive with anti-S

This time I got the green light.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment