12 July 2021 (Monday) - Getting The Red Light


I seem to do a BTLP-TACT exercise every morning before a night shift, so here we go…
I was presented with two patients:

57372 – an eighty year old chap from the vascular clinic requiring group and save
He typed as A Rh(D) Positive with a negative antibody screen

30703 – a nineteen year old chap from the haematology clinic requiring eight units of blood as soon as possible. His blood group was indeterminate but Rh(D) Negative. There was something odd in the A cells - is he A2B with anti A1?
And to complicate matters he had a positive antibody screen with cells 2 and three reacting. I requested antibody panels and the IAT panel was positive in cells 1, 3, 4, 6 and 7… And that was when the power went off as the nice man from EDF was changing the electricity meter.

Two hours later the power went back on and I saw from what I had copied and saved elsewhere that this corresponded with anti-Jk(a). The enzyme panel was the same.

So… bearing in mind the blood group I wanted eight units of O Neg Jk(a) Negative blood.

I found two…

I got the red light…  because I didn’t supply enough blood. There were only two Jk(a) Negative units available. What was I supposed to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment