22 October 2020 (Thursday) - IBMS Newsletter


The newsletter for IBMS Fellows, Council members and Staff arrived in my in-box this morning.

I didn’t like it.

It started off with an article about the “Biomedical Scientist of the Year”. Whilst in no way wishing to disparage the efforts of the person who won the award, the singling out of one person automatically lessens the efforts of everyone else. What about those who missed children’s birthday parties, or missed family holidays to keep the service running?

And I was very concerned about the IBMS-supported proposal for biomedical scientists to supply and administer medicines. If I wanted to be a doctor I would have chosen to become one.

There was a questionnaire on the matter. In a very typical sign of our times it took longer to fill in the bit about age, race, gender and sexual identity than it did to answer the actual questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment