3 March 2020 (Tuesday) - NEQAS Morphology


I finally got round to tracking down the consensus results of the most recent morphology NEQAS exercise…

2001 BF1

I said:

Large platelets

But to be honest I was scratching about to say anything…
Consensus:

Rouleaux, Microcytes, Ovalocytes

“This blood film was from an apparently healthy 80-year-old woman who was undergoing routine pre-assessment before unspecified elective surgery. All of her numerical automated full blood count parameters were within ‘normal’ reference limits, as were a biochemical screen including basic renal and liver function tests, and a (perhaps unnecessary) coagulation screen.
 This was an exercise in
where to ‘draw the line’ between commenting on a feature, or accepting it as within normal limits”

I think I got that right…

2001 BF2

I said:

Polychromasia
Poikilocytosis  ?? tear-drop cells
Large platelets

??? Don’t know
Consensus:

Polychromasia
tear-drop cells
Toxic granulation
Macrocytosis
Rouleaux

Polychromatic cells and ‘tear-drop’ poikilocytes were by far the most commonly reported abnormalities. Well done to all those who correctly observed the minor macrocytosis. I am always jealous of colleagues who can reliably estimate red cell size from blood film appearances. I struggle to do this reproducibly, other than by inference when other features of conditions associated with either microcytosis or macrocytosis are present

The film came from the blood of a 40-year-old woman who was under occasional long term haematological follow-up, with a given diagnosis of Diamond-Blackfan anaemia (DBA) made in childhood, but now evidently in a long-term spontaneous ‘partial remission’

I think I did OK on these…

No comments:

Post a Comment