14 March 2020 (Saturday) - BTLP-TACT Excercise



I thought I’d better do another BTLP-TACT exercise today… I had a couple of minutes spare.

I was presented with two cases:

05572 – a ninety-eight year old female with CVA requiring group and save

  • This lady was O Rh(D) Pos with a negative antibody screen


11608 – a thirty-three year old male with AML requiring two unis of irradiated blood tomorrow 
  • This chap was A Rh (D) Neg with a positive reaction in cell 2 of the antibody screen.
  • I requested antibody panels.
  • The IAT panel was positive in cells 2 & 6 and negative in all others which was consistent with anti-K
  • Similarly the enzyme panel was positive in cells 2 & 6 and negative in all others which was consistent with anti-K
  • I selected the only two A Rh(D) Neg irradiated units which were K Neg. Ideally I would have performed an Rh phenotype and given Rh matched blood


I got the green light.

No comments:

Post a Comment