6 December 2018 (Thursday) - BTLP-TACT Excercise





I did a BTLP – TACT exercise today. Again I approached it with a sense of expecting the worst…

I was presented with one sample: a female three years older than myself requesting blood group and two units of blood for tomorrow. No previous pregnancies or anti-D, and no known transfusion history.
I selected that both analyses were required.

The blood group was clearly O Pos; the antibody screen negative.

With diagnosis “haematemesis” I assumed the blood would be transfused. With age in mid-fifties, is this childbearing? Some authorities say it is. Some say not. To err on the side of caution I decided to give Kell-Negative blood. The oldest blood had two weeks before expiry so I used that. Long enough to re-stock if needed.

I got the green light.​

No comments:

Post a Comment