13 November 2018 (Tuesday) - Transfusion News email



The Transfusion News email came this morning. You can see it by clicking here. As always there are quite a few bits of interest. This article about blood use after mass shootings in the USA caught my eye.

Retrospective data collected after the October 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada, which killed 58 and injured more than 600, indicated that the available blood supply was adequate for the wounded patients…. Calls for donations from well-meaning agencies led to 791 blood donations immediately following the shooting of which 137 (17.3%) were wasted”.

I’ve never had to deal with such a problem. Periodically I work at the blood bank in a local trauma centre. I worry. On the one hand what is going to happen; have I enough blood to hand. On the other hand what is our wastage like?

No comments:

Post a Comment