10 January 2018 (Wednesday) - Motivation








The Lablogatory people sent their email today. Today they were thinking about what motivates people to take the safety aspects of the job seriously.
Usually their missives are good; I was disappointed with today’s. In many ways it was an exercise in management-speak. What does motivate people to take safety in the laboratory seriously? Stick or carrot?

For myself I always remember a discussion when I first started in lab work in September 1981. The senior chief medical laboratory scientific officer suggested I might think twice about taking out a pension as (at that time) people in our line of work generally didn’t live long enough to take that pension.
Nowadays by wearing rubber gloves and eye protection and not eating and smoking in the lab, we *don’t* die of lab-acquired infections.
That’s motivation enough for me…

No comments:

Post a Comment