1 September 2022 (Thursday) - Measurement of Uncertainty

I signed up to the Westgard QC newsletter today having stumbled across their website. On it I found a rather interesting little essay on the measurement of uncertainty.
I’ve always known that when I repeat an assay I won’t get “exactly” the same result, but I will get a result which is “about the same” but how much “about” is acceptable?
 
For example… “A patient report shows serum rhubarb results on two samples collected a week apart as 3.1 mmol/L and 3.3 mmol/L; upper reference value: 3.0 mmol/L. The clinician asks the laboratory: Is the first result definitely high and is the second result really higher than the first? The laboratory can’t answer without having some quantitative knowledge about the measurement uncertainty associated with each of the results
 
You can read the essay by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment