4 September 2021 (Saturday) - BTLP-TACT Exercise

With a couple of minutes spare I thought I might do another BTLP-TACT exercise. It’s daft – I worry about getting this right more than I worry about real crossmatching… and if I get that wrong that could (quite literally) kill someone.

I was presented with two cases: 

25982 – a ninety-two year-old chap in the out-patients department requiring a group & save

He grouped as O Rh(D) Negative with a negative antibody screen

61707 – an eighty-eight year-old chap on a medical ward requiring two units of blood tomorrow.

He also grouped as O Rh(D) Negative with a positive antibody screen (positive in all three cells) so I requested antibody panels.

The IAT panel was positive in cells 1 3 5 6 9 and 10

This could well be an anti-Fy(a) with anti-E but doesn’t exclude anti-Cw or anti-Lu(a)

The enzyme panel was positive in cells 3 and five which corresponds with anti-E

This was something of a trick question… when I came to select blood there was none that was negative for all four antigens. If I don’t select blood I get the red light. If I give antigen positive I get the red light…

What should I have done here?

 But I got the green light… what was going on here?


No comments:

Post a Comment